I did not vote for you.
I had deep concerns about many of your platforms when running for office.
I don’t want to build a wall.
I don’t want to start mass deportations.
I don’t want to regulate immigration on the basis of religion.
I don’t want national stop and frisk.
I don’t want to cut the protection of a free press.
I don’t want more involvement in overseas conflict.
I don’t want women, minorities, and LGBTQ people to lose hard fought civil rights protections.
I don’t want people to lose health care insurance.
I don’t want sexual harassment to be acceptable.
I don’t want you to try to be a moral compass for me or my family.
I don’t think you’ll be able to meet any of the above concerns. This is why I didn’t vote for you.
Although I didn’t vote for you, I will give you the opportunity to win some limited support.
- I need a strong economy where I can keep working to support my family.
- I need a stable marketplace where I can afford housing, food, clothing, and make sensible investments for my family’s future.
- I need a healthy public education system for all children to learn, find opportunities, and become effective adults.
- I need affordable health care solutions, so when the unexpected happens, it doesn’t wipe out our finances.
- I need equal protection and treatment under law, or else none of what I work for is secure.
These five needs are what it would take for me to say you did a good job for me, but not for everyone. The first four were talking points in your own campaign. While not all encompassing, I think if you hit these five points, you will meet the needs of the vast majority of Americans.
I don’t encourage you to meet the needs of the majority at the expense of the minority.
I expect you to rise to the role of President in more than title.
I expect you to show compassion and help the poor.
I expect you to show respect to all Americans, even those who disagree with you.
I expect you to allow others their dignity.
I expect you to be in this for all the American people, and not just for yourself.
I hope you surprise me.
For the sake of all, I hope you prove me and everyone who did not vote for you wrong. I hope you will be a great President, that you will be a great leader for our country.
Congratulations on your election.
Alex Cox, San Jose, CA
You must be logged in to post a comment.